Question : Problem: Gigabyte vt-600 beep code?  CPU dead or Bad MB sensor?

I'll be honest, I did something that may have been bad.  :)  I took my Gigabyte vt-600 motherboard, put a athlon xp 2800 in it, and used ultra silver thermal adhesive to install the original heatsink.  

I booted up and it booted fine, I started the OS install, and I heard a continuously alternating beep (high and low frequencies) from the MB speaker, and the system shut down.  I assume it was a overheating beep code.  I let it cool, and I booted to bios to see the temps/fan speeds.  the cpu temp hit 80 C and i shut down fast.  

Now, I believe I used too much thermal paste.  So I re-installed the heatsink to the cpu.  Now when i try to boot all I get is the alternating beep code from the time power hits and it shuts down immediately.  Is there a way to figure out whether the cpu is actually dead or if it burned out a temperature sensor? (without other cpu's/MB's for testing)  I can take the cpu out and power the motherboard and it seems like it will post (though I can't see anything on the screen)

Do I have to replace the CPU, the MB, both, or neither?  It seems to me either the CPU has a sensor that reads the temp and it's stuck reading too much.  

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answer : Problem: Gigabyte vt-600 beep code?  CPU dead or Bad MB sensor?

if you do not have the manual, you can download it here :

http://europe.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_7vt600_e.pdf
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us