Question : Problem: Internet disconnects regularly - modem or router problem?

I have TW cable Roadrunner and have a DLinl DIR-655 router and Netgear GS608 gigabit switch.  For the past week we have experienced countless internet disconnects while the home network is still connected.  I replaced the cbale modem with a new one from TW and still get the same results.  I replaced the router with another identical router and no help.  I even used a Netgear WNR854T router and still get the same error.  HOWEVER, when I connect a PC directly to the cable modem you never get the error.  My machine is connected dirrectly to the router - not through the swtich, but I still get the error as do all the rest of the machines in the house.  I think it has to be the TW service crapping out but - lets see what you guys think - I frinkin give up!

Answer : Problem: Internet disconnects regularly - modem or router problem?

Hey rdunagan,
You need to do more testing:
When the problem happens, find out these questions:

1) Is your NIC working?  (test via: Start-> Run-> "command" -> PING 127.0.0.1)
2) Is the router's DHCP server working? (does client get an IP address from the router, use: Start-> Run-> "command" -> ipconfig)  
3) Is the computer connected to the router (checks switch connectivity)? (try to login to router admin area)
3) Is the router connected to the internet? (login to admin area of the router, check to see if there is a WAN IP address)
4) If there is a WAN IP, check the signals on the cable modem, are the LED's flashing normally? Are the ones that indicate an active connection on or off or flashing?
5) If everything appears normal, then this is probably not something you can personally fix.  Give Time Warner a call.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us