Question : Problem: HP Teaming statistics - understanding what the details are telling me

I have a DL560 G1 with two NC7781 NICs in the server.  They are teamed together and getting some bizarre statistics.  There has been some bizarre loss of connections to this server which is running SQL.  In an attempt to isolate the problem, I am examining the network statistics on the server with its NICs and the HP Procurve switch statistics.  

The switch is reporting that the port that NIC #1 is plugged into reported 2 errors.  The port that the 2nd NIC is plugged into reported 5 errors.

I then opened the HP Network Management utility on the server and opened the statistics of the two NICs in the team.  NIC 1 reported no errors on the Transmit or the Receive statistics.  NIC 2 reported 2 'Overruns' and 2 'No Buffers'.  These statistics clearly DON'T match what the switch has seen.

If anybody can explain what HP means exactly by 'Overruns' and 'No Buffers', it would help quite a bit.

Answer : Problem: HP Teaming statistics - understanding what the details are telling me

hi!
in most cases, statistics show number of packets of certain categories.
so if your interface is working fine and is transmitting some 10K packets per second (so when you press refresh counter for transmitted(input or output) packets iscreases) but counters of errors(like crcs, overruns and no buffers) are not growing and showing single-digit values, then there is nothing to worry about.

Bad things happen when you press refresh and counters for errors grows. in most cases the problems are caused by bad nics, bad cables etc.

if you have teamed cards most probably you have configured ports aggregation on the switch and are using lacp.
try to look at lacp statistics on the switch.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us