Question : Problem: Citrix Presentation 4

One of our customers wants to implement Citrix Presentation Server 4.0 in their environment. They plan to create a farm consisting of 16 servers (2 servers per application). The servers are all Proliant DL380 G4 dual cpu with 2GB of RAM. They would like to use the maximum recommended number of users per CPU and they would also like to know how long would it take (approx) to implement this solution. If you have any suggestions or if you could direct me to some web sites that have some valuable information in this regard, that would be great.

Answer : Problem: Citrix Presentation 4

ok I think that's a good starting point for the hardware you have.  What are the CPU's you are running?  Are they hyperthreaded?  If so I wouldn't count the hyperthreading as a separate CPU.  2 CPU's x 25 = 50 users per server is probably a good estimate.  Again this will depend on the apps so you won't really know until you get it up & running.

2 weeks sounds like enough time.  The longest part of setting up any citrix environment is installing the server OS, and installing the actual applications you will be running.  Citrix itself doesn't really take that long if you understand the process.  If you haven't already I would download and become very familiar with the Citrix Admin guide: http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX106319

I'm not sure how much experience you have with citrix but here's some other things you should be planning:

1.  Make sure you have enough bandwidth at all sites to handle the additional load.  Citrix doesn't necessarily take up a lot, but if you are near your max already you could run into problems.

2.  How are workstations going to connect?  Depending on which method you choose (again refer to the admin guide) you may need to install client software on each machine.  If you are planning on using the web interface as a means of connecting to citrix you will also need to be prepared to set that up as well.

3.  Will users be printing from these applications in citrix?  Printing is probably one of the hardest things to configure in any citrix environment so if printing is a requirement check the admin guide for the different options you have to see what will work best for your environment.

That's all I can think of for now but I'm sure more will come up as you start the process.  Let me know if you have questions about any of these items.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us