Question : Problem: How do I acces my Ubuntu machine with VNC over the internet? what am I donig wrong?

I am trying to configure remote access to my Ubuntu virtual machine over the internet.

I'm using Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex x64 on VMware Workstation 6.5.1 installed on Server 2008 x64, I am using bridged networking so the virtual machine is on the local LAN IP range.

When I virtualise a Windows machine with fixed IP and forward a port for RealVNC the router forwards it to the virtal machine no problems e.g. 192.168.1.124:5921 straight over the net.

However I have followed the same procedure with Ubuntu, I have set up a fixed IP address e.g. 192.168.1.125 and in the router i have port forwarded e.g. port 5920 for Ubuntu RealVNC server

I started vncserver as # vncserver :20
In network tools I can see that port 5920 is now listening "tcp 0.0.0.0 5910 LISTEN"

So everything looks perfect, if i then try vnc viewer on the LAN from a Windows machine or even a Linux virtual machine they all connect beautifully.

e.g. @ 192.168.1.125:5920 it connects on LAN

If i then try to connect from an external network on the internet e.g. 81.56.x.51:5920 I get failed to connect: connection timed out (10060)

yet the same procedure works perfectly on Windows machines or Windows virtual machines

I can not figure out what I am doing wrong/missing with Ubuntu? please help!

Answer : Problem: How do I acces my Ubuntu machine with VNC over the internet? what am I donig wrong?

I have finally solved this problem, it turns out it was VMware Workstation 6.5.1 at fault, I have just upgraded to 6.5.2 and upgraded VMware tools to the new package and now it finally works as expected over the internet.

Thank you so much for your help though guys,

To summarise to use realVNC over the internet upgrade your VMware Workstation to 6.5.2 and update your VMware tools to the newest version.

You will then be able to connect over WAN internet as expected with ports forwarded on router
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us