Question : Problem: USB 2.0 devices not recognised

When I plug a USB 2.0 device into any USB port on my motherboard (Asrock 939DUAL-VSTA, all USB 2.0 supported) it gives me the "This device can perform faster" error, and if I click on the bubble to view a list of available ports there are 8 listed under "ULi USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller", all unused.

As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong) when a device is plugged in it is identified as USB 1 or 2, and then the appropriate controller is used, but this doesn't seem to be happening!

It is not an OS issue, as the problem has persisted through an OS reinstall (XP to Vista, clean install), and all motherboard drivers are installed. I have tried plugging only one device in to ensure a slower device wasn't "lowest common denominator-ing" everything, to no avail.

The controller is there, just not being used, nearly as if the ports don't have access to it. Any ideas?

Answer : Problem: USB 2.0 devices not recognised

if it was ok before - and knoppix and windows now see it as usb1 - yes i think your motherboard is bad
This is the bad news - the good news is you do not need a new mobo, only a , which will restore usb 2 speed for you  http://www.everythingusb.com/hardware/USB_Cards/
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us