Question : Problem: HP 2300 printer installation failure with WIN XP Pro SP3

Tried to install hp business inkjet 2300 Series software on new PC with OEM WIN XP Pro SP3. Printer (USB) not connected, installed software from HP CD, connected printer as requested. OS detected printer before I could respond to HP setup prompt. Got following message after further installation steps. Further attempts to install returns 'sucessfull installation', but returns this message.

"The hp business inkjet 2300 Series setup program has encountered a severe error and will now exit. Restart your computer and run Setup again."

Removed all references to HP2300 in Start...Printers and Faxes

Did above again - saw message 'lookin for new hardware - make sure printer is connected (always was) and powered on (it was) - same result & message (unable to complete installation).

Attached USB to PC & allowed new hardware wizard to install from HP CD. Received 'printer ready for use' message. Trid to print test page. received message 'Test Page Failed to Print...'

Tried to print notepad document witn text 'HP Test' - received message 'Page too small to print one line. Try printing using smaller font.'

HP2300 Properties OK - just won't print!!

I was able to successfully install software from HP CD & print to HP1300 LaserJet attached to networked PC WIN XP Pro SP2

How do I get HP2300 [software] to work??

Thanks for help!!

Answer : Problem: HP 2300 printer installation failure with WIN XP Pro SP3

After continued attempts to install with new hardware wizard and the HP 2300 CD, I finally installed the printer. I am not exactly sure of the detailed steps, but I ignored most options (e.g. sharing). Not sure why, but the printer is installed and the question is resolved.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us