Question : Problem: How to configure Linksys Router to see an existing network?

How can I get a Linksys wireless router see an existing network?

I am doing a workgroup setup for a very small office (must be a workgroup cannot be a domain). They have a DSL business router that runs into several business hubs but the only thing I can identify is the Netgear MR314 wireless router. The client PC I am on list as:

IP: 192.168.0.21
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.0.1
DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

Here is the issue. The owner has a daughter that works there and she brought in a linksys router for her office to use with her laptop. The range is too far for the Netgear to reach. Since it is the owner daughter, she wants to continue to use the laptop. The Linksys connection is coming from the wall network jack to the internet port of the Linksys. Linksys has a default gateway of 192.168.1.1 and a IP address of 192.168.1.102. It does list the DNS as 192.168.0.1

Although I can get to the internet from the laptop with the Linksys supplied IP I cannot seen any of the network shares I have on the setup on the Netgear IP's. My guess is the laptop cannot see the Netgear gateway of 192.168.0.1 and does not have an IP address in this range.

I do not want to mess with their business DSL\Netgear setup so is there a way to fix the Linksys router to get an IP address Netgear range?

Thx

Answer : Problem: How to configure Linksys Router to see an existing network?

first check the following, click run,type cmd, type ping 192.168.0.254
if it returns a timeout  then continue.

your going to setup the linksys as a bridge/access point.
on the linksys you need to do the following.
Disable DHCP, change the linksys's ip to 192.168.0.254
change the wireless SSID to something(your choice)
enable wep and type in a paraphrase.
write down the encryption key (#1)
with the laptop you will be joining this ssid with encryption.
after all this is done, plug the network cable into one of the lan ports.
DO NOT plug anything into the WAN port.

this should put your laptop on the same network as the others without messing anything up and allow you to see the other shares and be wireless.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us