Question : Problem: Slow printing between pages

I have a HP Laserjet P3005N printer that is shared between two people.  The printer recently started printing very slow.  It will print 2-3 pages at a time and then wait a few seconds and print again.  I have tried several different drivers and everytime I update the driver it will work better for a day or two.  Then it will resort back to taking 15 minutes to print a 10 page document.  I recently had to rebuild the computer.  It had the same problem prior to the rebuild as it does now.  Any help would be appreciated.

Answer : Problem: Slow printing between pages

Slow printing can have several causes:

(a) Pages are very complex and hence the interpeter in the printer has to work very hard to rip each page image.
Some drivers generate much more efficient print streams than others.
Some Page Description Languages (PDLs) are more suited to particular applications; e.g. use PostScript for printing PDFs from Acrobat.
I have no knowledge of LJ  P3005, so I don't know which drivers are available (it might even be one of the simple 'host-based' models which don't support any of the traditional PDLs like PCL5, PCL6 or PostScript?).

(b) With printers which have trays with 'Standard/Custom' switch settings, the latter setting usually halves the print speed.

(c) Problems with sending the data to the printer: e.g. network message clash, re-send after bad packet, etc.
Hardware (e.g. bad cables) or network specific (e.g. overloaded) causes.
Could be a problem with a NIC in the printer?

As your problem appears to be intermittent, point (c) is possibly more relevant?
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us