Question : Problem: Adding a third SCSI disk to an array...easy question!

Hi there!

I have a two disk SCSI array.  I believe the two drives are configured as mirrors.  I am low on disk space and have decided to add a third SCSI drive.  If I add it to the SCSI chain, will it just show up as a third drive?  I don't want to break the current array if I don't have to....this SCSI stuff is relatively new to me.  I just want to have the extra drive space.  Oh and the OS is Windows 2003 server and it is a domain controller.  I am working on this right now so a quick answer would be appreciated...has to be back online for Monday morning!!!!!

Answer : Problem: Adding a third SCSI disk to an array...easy question!

actually colin a raid 0 can be created with 1 hdd, but a raid 1 would require 2 hdds. To create the array when you first boot into the crtl a bios you should a have an option for container configuration (usually the first option in the list), on the next screen choose create container, now it should be showing a list of available drives (if the new drive is not listed it needs to be initialized in the bios), after selecting that drive press enter to continue and it will bring up the raid setup where you can choose the type of raid along with stripe setting, should default to raid 0 and depending on the firmware you may also have the option for an independent disk, either one will work since its a single hdd, but i would suggest leaving the other settings at there defaults. once this is done the drive should now show up in disk managment so you can partition and format it.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us