Question : Problem: Nokia 6160 infrared and Powerbook G3

I've got both a Nokia 6160 phone and a Powerbook G3. The phone has an infrared port on the top of it, and I noticed when I installed OS 8.6 on my G3, there was a driver for Nokia Infrared. I'm assuming this allows my laptop to use the cell phone as a modem, via infrared. I was not able to get the computer to recognize the presence of the phone in the infrared control panel, even after selecting that driver in the modem control panel and telling the computer (in that same control panel) to connect via infrared. Any ideas?

Answer : Problem: Nokia 6160 infrared and Powerbook G3

Here's the answer:

If you have a Nokia 6160 (as I do, and have looked into it) the infrared port is indeed capable of handling modem connections.  That's the hardware end.

The big losers here are those of us in the states.  For reasons known only to Nokia, they disabled *completely* the IR port in the non-GSM phones.

So if you buy (and use, for that matter) your phone in Europe, you're in luck!  I'll bet it would work with the IR port on the G3 (I've only heard of it working with laptops.)

If you're like me and in the US, that is just a pretty bauble on the top of the phone.  Sorry.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us