Question : Problem: removing a cpu from a Sun X4240 sunfire

We have an X4240 Sunfire with two quad-core AMD chips. I'd like to remove one (I know, strange request, but it's to meet a licensing requirement). The machine supports a single cpu (I know because many of the pre-installed configs just have one quad-core), but, when I simply remove a cpu and shift the memory over, it doesn't boot. Boots fine if they are both in.

Any ideas on what trick may be involved to run this with just the one quad-core? For example, should I be removing cpu #1 (versus cpu #0), Seems logical that cpu #1 would be the one to take out, but, then again, the memory is installed starting with bank 7 (not 0). Maybe there is some jumper or configuration that must be set? I can't see a bios setting.

Thanks,

Answer : Problem: removing a cpu from a Sun X4240 sunfire

You can remove the CPU by following the step by step guide as per the following guide:
http://docs.sun.com/source/820-3835-10/servicing-doradi2u-motherboard.html#50483258_pgfId-1150215
(refer to section 4.7.2 Removing a CPU and FIGURE 4-17 provides a pictorial presentation in the same document.)
I hope you will find this useful. Thanks.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us