Question : Problem: in netbackup 5.0 how can I change the location of the log files on the client

in netbackup 5.0 how can I change the location of the log files on the client

Answer : Problem: in netbackup 5.0 how can I change the location of the log files on the client

Take the following steps to change the drive (hard drive) where NetBackup log files are located from the default when installed.

The value to be changed can be found in the registry under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion

Edit the entry 'Log Directory' and change the string to point to the new hard drive.

For example, if it was C:\VERITAS\NetBackup\logs where NetBackup was installed, and there were issues with having space on this drive,

then change the string value to D:\VERITAS\NetBackup\logs and all logs now will be pointed to the D: drive.

The steps above will redirect where the client based logs will go, e.g. bpbkar, bpcd, inetd etc. To have all the logs redirected to a new location, you will also have to perform the following actions.

Add the following within the registry to make sure all the (master and media process) log directories, as made by the batch file, are written to (Figure 3):

BP_LOGS

It is a string value within VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Paths

This does not exist by default, so it will have to be created.

Its value would be a string directory path.

NOTE:  Since path separators in C are interpreted differently, the following format must be deployed when entering this string value:        

Actual path to the logs directory:
D:\Logs

Path to enter into the string value:
D:${_ps}Logs

PLEASE NOTE: The new LOG directory structure will also have to be created in the new location. If you are to run the mkdir.bat in its original location, the directory structure will not be created in the new location. the mkdir.bat will also have to be moved to the new location and executed there.

PLEASE NOTE:  The ALTPATH directory in the \netbackup\logs remains in the original location, and this does not effect any alternative path restores by moving the locations where the log files go, this is also different from the altpath that needs to be created to move NetBackup catalogues.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us