Question : Problem: Cannot RDP to clients after server upgrade/replacement

Replaced and SBS2000 Standard with a 2003 Standard server at a client over the weekend.  The IP addressing scheme was not changed (192.168.1.xxx).  I can VPN into the server, but cannot RDP to anything via the three remote XP machines they used to do this before.  Each is at a different person's home and of course is on the 192.168.1.xxx subnet also.  I know they should be different, but it worked like a charm with the SBS2000 server for 5 years.

From my network (also a 192.168.1.xxx) using Vista, I am able to establish VPN and RDP sessions without issue.  When I do an IPCONFIG on my Vista machine, the VPN connection is the first listed, while on the client's XP machines it's second.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Scott

Answer : Problem: Cannot RDP to clients after server upgrade/replacement

One of the most basic rules of a VPN is that the local and remote subnets MUST be different. If the subnets are the same how does the router know where to send the packets, local or remote, as routing is based on subnets.
Having said that, if you configure the VPN client manually, and enable the "use remote default gateway" option you should be able to access the server, though no other device on the network. see the following link for the VPN:
http://www.lan-2-wan.com/vpns-XP-Client.htm
and then go to: control panel | network connections | right click on the VPN/Virtual adapter and choose properties | Networking | TCP/IP -properties | Advanced | General | check the box  "Use default gateway on remote network"

Once connected use IP's not computer names.

The other possibility, or test would be to change the subnet of the LAN at the client site.

When setting up a VPN always avoid common subnets for the primary site like 192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x, 10.0.0.x
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us