Question : Problem: Will I Be Able To Specify Which Drive Is the master when I create a new RAID1 array with adaptec 2100s?

I have to replace a drive in a RAID 1 array. I'm at the RAID BIOS screen where I'm asked what kind of array I want: Raid 0 or 1. Before U click OK I want to be sure it wont start copying data from the NEW drive to the old drive rather than the other way around.

Also, the new drive is 36GB, old is 18GB. No 18's locally available. I assume I can only use the first 18GB of the 36 (which is no problem). Will there be any other probs?

Am at customer's site now, any quick answers will be appreciated.  I'm a netowrk guy. I HATE this stuff!  I'm afraid I'll wind up with a boat anchor so this is worth the max.  I wish I could double the points...

Tnx

Phil

Answer : Problem: Will I Be Able To Specify Which Drive Is the master when I create a new RAID1 array with adaptec 2100s?

I'd have thought there'd be some indication of the array -- and an indication that it was "at risk".   But I'm not sure how it's displayed => and don't have time to look up the Storage Manager software manual (I did see one while searching for the SMOR details), as it's very late and I'm off to bed.

I'd suggest one of three things (1 & 2 are Safe;  3 has some element of risk):

(1)  Be sure you don't have the SCSI ID on the new drive set to a 2 !!   If it's conflicting with the other drive, that would easily explain why the system won't boot with it installed.   If that happens to be the case, then you could try booting again with it installed -- and if it boots, see if Storage Manager then gives you a rebuild option.   (I'm assuming this is not the case -- but just in case you overlooked it ...)

(2)  See if you can find a 2100S manual with details of SMOR ==>  or wait until someone with actual experience with a 2100S sees this question and provides the step-by-step notes that you need to safely add the new drive.

(3)  Simply boot to SMOR and go ahead and select RAID-1.   It is, as I noted earlier, ALMOST certain that the next screen will give you options that do not destroy the current data on the drive ==> if there's a rebuild option, that would be best;  but even if you have to Create the array, when you create a RAID-1 array every controller I've seen lets you "tell" it which drive is the one you want mirrored (and you know from the above that the SCSI ID on that drive is 2).

... off to bed ==> I'll check in the morning and if you still haven't found a SMOR manual (and still need one) I'll see if I can find it for you.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us