Question : Problem: iPod (40 GB Click Wheel) not synchronising on Vista Ultimate edition

After installing iTunes 7.6 on Windows Vista Ultimate, I am having issues syncing by iPod (40 GB Click Wheel) device.  Windows recognises it as does iTunes.  After it detects and erases it, it transfers 3 or 4 songs and then errors stating "iTunes cannot read from or write to the device."  I know this iPod is fine as it syncs perfectly on my XP notebook.

Strange thing is that even through I has set in iTunes not to use the device as a Disk, it pops up as a drive in Vista - it does not do this in XP.  My thought is that Vista is taking control of it and blocking iTunes but I cannot seem to stop this from occurring.

I have an iPod Shuffle as well that syncs without any issues on the same machine.

Has anyone seen this issue or has any idea of how I might fix this?

Thanks,
Ron.

Answer : Problem: iPod (40 GB Click Wheel) not synchronising on Vista Ultimate edition

Can you copy thing to and from the 40gb iPod when it is seeing it as a disk?

Check this update from MS, it may seem unrelated but if your iPod doesn't connect/eject properly it'll fail sync:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936824/

Also, make 100% sure on your XP machien that your iPod has the latest firmware update (iTunes should tell you).
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us