Question : Problem: SATA DVDRW not displaying in BIOS

Building new computer.
SATA DVD/RW does show in BIOS "Drive Configuration" - but not in the "Boot Sequence".

I've changed out cables - no joy.

The only change I have made to BIOS was to disable "PXE Boot to LAN" -- after getting the PXE-E61 Media Test Failure" message.

I might be able to swap out the SATA DVD for an IDE version.

Any thought much appreciated.

Thanks,
Vic

Answer : Problem: SATA DVDRW not displaying in BIOS

I haven't used a SATA optical drive with my D875PBZ's, so I'm not sure which settings need "tweaked" here.   Look at the IDE mode in BIOS setup and be sure it's set to enhanced (so all devices are enumerated); and then look at the boot order and be sure the CDROM is first; and also confirm that the optical drive is listed under "ATAPI CD-ROM Drives" (on the Boot Menu page of BIOS Setup).

... if the drive isn't being enumerated on the boot menu page, you might try using a legacy setting for the IDE devices => this will only allow a total of 4 ATA devices to be used; but may let you get past the initial need to boot from CD to install Windows.   You could switch back to enhanced after XP is installed.   But I would not expect these gyrations to be necessary.

... Using an IDE optical drive will definitely work :-)

Final thought:  What BIOS version is on your motherboard?   There were several improvements made over time in the BIOS ... the latest version is P34.    A BIOS update may be in order here (although the best way to do that is with Intel's Express BIOS Update from Windows -- so it would be best if you can get Windows installed first).

Also, what CPU did you install in the board?
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us