Question : Problem: catalyst 2900 configuration

HI

I have a 12 port catalyst 2900, and have the following needs:

two offices (just separate with a wall)  with a network 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 on gateway (ADSL) i'm setting up a catalyst to separate each office and to limit traffic. i tried to use a bigger network 192.168.0.1/255.255.254.0 and set up Vlans with small networks but my adsl router don't let me do it. Searching over internet i found catalyst does not have rate limit feature (if yes please tell me)

At this point and due to the posibilities i just want to configure catalyst to separate traffic from one office to another but using same network gateway 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0

thanks

Answer : Problem: catalyst 2900 configuration

First of all you wont be able to make VLANS with this SMC device becuase it wont do any VLAN trunking. The SMC will not allow you to create more than one Private network :-( it will only allow you to create a range of up to 253 usable addresses in the Private IP range and this will be used for NAT. There is no real way to seperate these networks except if your going to but the servers in one of the LAN ports of the SMC and make the Servers act as a bridge for the Internet access, Therefore enableling DHCP for the computers and creating a seperate network that way and the same thing with your Sun Server. It would look somthing Like this:

WAN
                 |
            [ADSL ROUTER]
               |      |
               |      |
             SRVR1 SRVR2 <---Both acting as Bridges = Default gateway to the PC's
                                   |             |
               |        |
            Switch      Switch
               |             |
               |             |
              PC's       PC's

This is the best that I would recommend with the hardware and features that you have
Enable DHCP on the SRVERS and assign them a different subnet range. You might have to get an additional NIC on your servers to support the bridge so this can work.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us