Question : Problem: Replacement screen for a HP Pavilion N5210

The screen in my n5210 is faded out and only handles 800X600. I want an XGA screen if possible. The model of screen that I have is LM130SS1T611.   I have looked on google and I cannot find any references to cross compatibility for LCD screens, other than the fact that a Compaq 1275 screen will work. Doesn't solve the resolution issue though.

I would like to find at least an XGA screen, would prefer a SXGA, that will be compatible with this system. I don't really care about size. This system came with a 13" or a 13.3" I believe. It looks like it would physically handle up to a 14" maybe even a 15".

I really want to know if there is another model of HP that even the plastics would fit on this system.

I don't even care if I have to "make" the LCD fit in the existing plastics..

Answer : Problem: Replacement screen for a HP Pavilion N5210

You are pretty much out of luck.

In the first place, it's a 13" screen, and 13" screens with XGA resolution are EXTREMELY rare.

In the second place, in general, you can only replace the screen in a laptop with the exact same screen part number from the same manufacturer or an exact substitute.  In general, you can't replace a 13" SVGA screen even with a different 13" SVGA screen, much less with any XGA screen.  LCD panels are totally non-standardized, virtually every one of them is different, both electrically and mechanically.  I have been in the display industry for 7 years, and it's terrible, there is just no interchangeability at all unless two screens were designed to be exactly interchangeable (it does happen, but it's very much the exception, not the rule).  On top of that, both the video card and the firmware in the computer are made for a specific LCD panel and a specific resolution (two separate and distinct issues, but in terms of your situation, both are applicable).

The only time that you have a good shot at making the kind of change that you are suggesting, as a practical matter (and even then it may not be very practical) is when the laptop was originally offered in multiple configurations.  Then you MAY be able to change out from one configuration to another.  But it may mean changing the entire "lid" (not just the panel, but the hinges, plastics, cables, inverter and everything else in the lid), as well as, possibly, the video card in the base if it's separate.  And you may have to make all kinds of configuration changes and firmware changes on the motherboard that are not documented for end-users or, sometimes, even service personnel.

I know it's not the answer that you wanted, but I think you will find that it's accurate.  I'd sell the current laptop on E-Bay and buy a replacement laptop (new or used).  I don't know what the CPU is, but you can get Toshiba 2805's in the $250 to $400 range, and they are good machines with XGA screens and DVD drives (650MHz to 1GHz Celeron and Pentium III CPUs), or you can sometimes buy new "budget" laptops as low as $499.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us