Question : Problem: Cat5e run 1005' - What to expect for stability?

I have a customer that ran a CAT5e cable to a separate building to connect a PC to the network.  The thing is, the cable run is just over 1000 feet!!  The amazing thing is he pulls an IP from the DHCP server and can use the network.  He can also get programs installed off the server and they work as well.  I am wondering 1. how is this possible and 2. when can I expect database corruption? (if ever)

Is there a signal enhancer that we can put on that cable run to ensure data integrity?
Wireless is not an option due to the expense.  In-line repeater is prob not an option unless it will push the signal 600 feet.

Answer : Problem: Cat5e run 1005' - What to expect for stability?

Anything is possible - the 100 meter recommendation is the standard limit, and beyond that errors are to be expected.  Your database won't be corrupted; what may happen is re-transmission of lost or garbled packets and hence lower bandwidth.

Typically, a hub or switch every 100 meters would do the trick if you can do it, which from your description doesn't sound like it is an option.  Otherwise, a directional wireless antenna would work for that distance.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us