Question : Problem: Compaq Presario 56K-VSC Modem MalFunction (Not started in BIOS)

I have a Compaq Presario 1680 with an internal Compaq Presario 56K-VSC modem. The Laptop is running Windows 2000 Server OS. If I go to device manager, the modem appears with exclamation mark, "not functional." It states that settings were changed in the BIOS and it is a Windows Troubleshooter error code 29. I need help in choosing the right settings for the BIOS in the laptop. Thanks in Advance. Bruno.

Answer : Problem: Compaq Presario 56K-VSC Modem MalFunction (Not started in BIOS)

Get a new computer.

Your internal floppy uses a serial port? thats something new to me.  Try disabling that serial port, someplace else there might be a setting for floppy disk controller, make sure thats enabled.  605 code means the computers not recognizing what type of floppy your floppy is, look around for drive A, floppy disk controller, etc... Does your hp come with a configuration wizard someplace on it or one of the cds it came with?
Assuming that doesnt work, on your serial port floppy, auto should be good, you can also try assigning the various IRQs one of them may currently be used by another device in which case you'd have conflicts,  for the Base address you can try the various options, Once again other devices may be using those memory addresses and could cause conflicts.  There's a semi-standard for choosing base addresses based on com port, but if I were you I'd just try all 8 possibilites.  On the off chance one does work, see if something else has stopped working, but we won't worry about that for now.
You may wish to reformat your computer.

Get a new computer
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us