Question : Problem: Dell 4600 won't turn on after memory upgrade - what's wrong?

Hey all,

Computer info:
Dell 4600, 2.66mhz, original memory 256mb - now upgraded to 1.256mg via 2 512mb DIMM (K-byte PC3200/2700)

What I did:
- Upgraded the memory of the machine (unplugged, done carefully)
- First try: upgraded the memory by removing the 256mb chips and putting in the 2 512mb DIMMs. Worked great to begin with, then kept having thermal event shutdowns.
- Second try: put the original memory back in, then powered up
- Machine powered up fine, no thermal event shutdown.
- Added the 2 512mb DIMM in secondary memory slots (3/4) without removing the original 256mb memory - so total memory is 1.3mb.
- Run the machine for 2-3 hours looking for thermal event. Nothing happens.
- Return machine to friend
- Get a call from friend - machine no longer turning on.
- Stopped by his house, pressed the power button - indeed, it tries to power up, then stops. So lights come on for a second and then the lights turn off.

Any idea what I should do here?

- Computer powers occasionally. So, I get lights on the front panel
- External monitor does not power up.
- Fans do power up.

There also seems to be a time component working here - the longer I let the box sit, the longer it powers on for before turning off.

Things I've tried:
- Reseting the memory
- Reseting all the plugs - particularly the power connectors.

Seems to me like I've got a blown power supply but I'd love some feedback before I order one.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Damian

Answer : Problem: Dell 4600 won't turn on after memory upgrade - what's wrong?

hmmm ..... It could be the Power Supply not enough power to power up while you suddently put in 2 x 512MB memory, assume you are having a 350 / 400 W Power Supply here, while you keep on running the 1.3GB memory with limited power, It would "force" the power supply to supply more power (therefore, will absorb more power from the main switch, thus, it easy to make the power supply get burn / damage) try to borrow a 450W or higher Power Supply to test for it.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us