Question : Problem: MY DELL DIMENSION 4400 is slow

My dell dimension 4400 has 128 mb ddram
p4 1.6 gig
40 gig western digital HD

I Lost everything after power failure at my house and finally got it back running but it seems to be running slower
could it be the power failure did something to the board or cpu??

If so how do i check to see whats wrong?

the bios seems to detect everything im confused please help

P.S. i also have win ME running on it because when i installed win2000 pro it ran so shitty ME is running better but still not how a p4 1.6gig w/128ddr

Answer : Problem: MY DELL DIMENSION 4400 is slow

I agree with all above especially with dumping ME and using win 2000.
However, what you are describing, especially the power failure part, may have physically damaged your hard drive. If that 40 Gb WD HDD is over three yrs old or close to it, I would suspect sector damage. Run a full scandisk to see if you have damage. I also suspect that there are some remnants of your failed attempt to install 2000 conflicting with your present install. Your best bet might be to back up your personal files, do a complete DOS unconditional format on the HDD -- if it checks out OK, and a new reinstall with the 4 boot disks for win 2000. (if you dont have these disks, you can make them from the CD)

Also, how many memory sticks are present. If 2, make sure both are recognized on start up. This will verify slots and sticks were not compromised during the power outage.

Good Luck
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us