Question : Problem: Dell Inspiron 1100 - unknown device is multimedia audio, but I can't get it working!

We have a Dell Inspiron 1100 we recently reloaded from scratch with xp sp3.  loaded all drivers but for some reason, there's no sound card detected.  hardware manager sees an unknown device and when you go into sounds, it says there's no sound card.

I've rerun the chipset and integrated audio drivers several times.  every time I get to the audio drivers, I get the message 'driver not found.  reboot your system and try again.

I've updated the firmware to the latest (now it does detect this as a multimedia audio device).
I ran belarc and for multimedia, it says nothing found
I have all the windows updates applied
It's a work computer that got replaced so I assume, but can't be 100% sure that it worked before - once i got it, i blew away the OS, reformatted and started clean.  should make things work better, but it's making more grief.
The setup does say that the sound card is sigmatel 9750.  I've tried some generic drivers I've found on the web for machines using this mobo, but with no success.

it's going to be my son's machine for watching movies, so I really want to get this going.

any ideas?

Answer : Problem: Dell Inspiron 1100 - unknown device is multimedia audio, but I can't get it working!

here a link to the drivers -from dell
http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_CEL_1100&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=
click on the audio and then download the driver. then run to install.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us