Question : Problem: Computer won't come on..

My friend can't get his computer to come on. I opened the tower up and turned the power on in the back. I noticed a green light comes on, on the mother board. I figured that would exclude the power supply malfunctioning..? Everything inside looked fine.

When I press the power button in the front of the tower, at most the red light gives a little flicker if at all. None of the fans come on either.

Any ideas on what to look at?

Answer : Problem: Computer won't come on..

For generic trouble shooting, these are some things that can prevent bootup:
- motherboard shorting on case
- CMOS jumper set to CLEAR, instead of NORMAL position
- bad connections
- faulty or inadequate power supply
- bad RAM
- faulty video card
- bad cpu
- bad motherboard

If no one installed any hardware or opened the case recently, you can eliminate the first three (well, check the cables, in case something is loose).  Strip down the pc to the bare essentials: install one stick of RAM, the cpu, and the video card, and reset the BIOS.  Do not include hard disks, other PCI cards, or other peripherals.
Random Solutions  
  •  Problem: How can I backup my DPM 2007 server - client can not be rollout
  •  Problem: Replace LCD - Mac Powerbook G4 17inch Silver
  •  Problem: Server will not boot after adding /PAE to boot.ini in order to use 16gb ram
  •  Problem: Best solution for wiring two patch panels together in a short distance run?
  •  Problem: Where to find driver and firmware for the tape drive
  •  Problem: Can I buy another wireless keyboard 'adaptor'
  •  Problem: Laptop, XP, only boots to DOS and will not read CD, bad FAT, which program from Crazy One's list to save?
  •  Problem: Power Supply Adapter Ratings and Country-Specific Voltages
  •  Problem: Initial Config - Dell Powerconnect 6248p
  •  Problem: Cannot get Itunes to go to Itunes store - iTunes could not connect to iTunes Store.  Make sure you network connection is active and try again"
  •  
    programming4us programming4us