Question : Problem: Microsoft Wireless 802.11b USB Network Adapter Wireless Light Blinks Instead of Staying Steady Green

Hi Everyone;

I have a Microsoft Wireless USB Network Adapter, 802.11b series (Model MN-510) which never detects a signal from the Microsoft Wireless Router, series 802.11b (Model MN-500).  The power light stays a steady green, however, the wireless light has a pulsating green light instead of a steady green light.  Interestingly, I do not think the wireless USB network adapter is dysfunctional because it does detect signals from nearby routers as indicated within the area of View Available Wireless Networks.  Strangely enough,  my wireless SSID of MSHOME never appears within the list of available wireless to connect.  Since this laptop has a Wi-Fi card, should it also detect the signal from the router as well?  The reason the wireless USB network adapter is being used in the first place is because the laptop is on the other side of the house only separated though by a wall and the kitchen.  I have the Microsoft Broadband Utility Software if needed.  In the past, I never needed to install it.  I believe the wireless zero configuration integrated in with the XP Pro SP2 has always handled the wireless connection configuration.  

In closing, I look forward to receiving any feedback to this question.  

Thank you

George

Answer : Problem: Microsoft Wireless 802.11b USB Network Adapter Wireless Light Blinks Instead of Staying Steady Green

It is usually best to let XP handle the wireless rather than a program that comes with the wireless card, but different people have different preferences.  I fund that most people find the XP wizard easiest to use.

Of course you need to enable wireless access if you want to connect to it with your laptop.  Broadcast needs to be enabled, for you to see it and use the XP wireless wizard.  I recommend for environments like yours that it always be configured.  Some people set the SSID to something meaningful to them, but not others so that people can't tell who the SSID belongs to (e.g. "A5423" rather than "Smiths"  In your case "MSHOME" is obscure, but if it is auto set it may eventually  conflict with another neighbors SSID.  Data rate to auto is fine.  The wireless channe 1 is perhaps okay.  The Channels 1,6,11 are the choices, you don't want to use other channels.  If you look at the other devices in tthe area, look at what channels the stronger channels are on, and keep away form those channels.  If you are on 1 now, and things are working, keep it there.  You can try channel 6 or 11 if you have problems.  The WEP encryption is not secure, but better than no security.  With 802.11b, you may not have any other option.  When you move to 802.11g (or 802.11n) later, you will want to use WPA2 encryption.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us