Question : Problem: Best Raid configuration for Datbase server?

Hi,

i am loking to buy a new database server and was wondering what is the best way to set it up?  Should I have a raid 1 config for the OS and a raid 10 for data and logs or just lump the whole lot on a raid 10 using all the drives?  I was looking at using 8 drives on a dell power edge 2900 iii or a HP ML370 G5.  Any other thoughts as to hardware suitabilty would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Answer : Problem: Best Raid configuration for Datbase server?

the redundant power supplies here is not the issue. if you had a fail of one of teh drives would having an immediate swap over be necessary for you and no loss of down time or would be happier with a 100% recovery of data but a little downtime whilst a disc was rebuilt saving you a few $$ in the process?

That size database is not huge i woul drun it as a raid5 with a 3+1 drive configuration for your drives a raid 1 for your log files over 2 discs and then have your OS on one partition leaving one disc space free for future development, that size DB is not huge and easily manageable. i think raid1+0 might be using a sledgehammer to open a peanut in this case but saying that if you need 24/7 365 days a year availability then consider it
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us