Question : Problem: Expansion box and lto tape drive hookup - server is not seeing it

I just bought a 0034b0x expansion box from IBM. Installed inside it I have a 1/2 high LTO tape drive. The expansion box is connected to an IBM x330 server (it's SCSIcontroller). The SCSI cable inside the x330 is also connected to the 2 hard drives and the SCSI controller. So total I have 4 devices on the chain (2 HDs, 1 expansion box, 1 lto inside the expansion box)

The LTO drive is connected inside the expansion box with an internal SCSI cable. There is a terminator hanging off the end of that cable. I took the jumpers off of the tape drive and used the "remote switch" jumpers provided inside the expansion box.

I've tried several different settings and cannot get the server to recognize a new device.

Channel Setup:
0 - primary hd
1 - slave hd
7 - controller
4 - tape drive
4 - expansion box

I tried setting the expansion box to a different channel than the tape drive, and than the same. The expansion box has buttons on the back where u can increment numbers from 0 to 15. Connected to that button inside is a "remote switch" which looks like jumpers for a SCSI device connected by colorful wires.

SCSI Controller Setup:
Turned termination off so that it does not terminate before it gets to the tape drive
Changed speed of channel 4 to 80mbps instead of 160.

The documentation is very thin and does not mention anything about the setup. Help!!

Answer : Problem: Expansion box and lto tape drive hookup - server is not seeing it

PAQed, with points refunded (250)

Computer101
E-E Admin
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us