Question : Problem: performance of DDO overlay stripe vs. dedicated controller

Hello all, thanks in advance for the help from you pros, I have searched high and low for an answer to no avail...

i am doing a build of a NLE video system using a Compaq Evo w6000 (dual 2ghz xeons). My integrated ide channels are free so I thought I'd use that to build a raid0 or 0+1 using winXP Pro. After much research at compaq/hp, it seems I would have to rely on a drive manufacturers DDO driver overlay to use >137mb drives.

So my question is this: Is this a bad idea in terms of cpu efficiency compared to a regular pci ide-raid controller? This is realtime video and so the two most important factors are drive throughput as well as CPU for transitions and RT effects. I would rather not eat up a slot if I have what it takes integrated on the mobo, but drive speed and cpu is really quite important. Thanks for any advice.

part two of this might be to ask if anyone has any experience with samsung drives. I understand they run cool, quiet and have 3 year warranties, a rarity nowadays.

Answer : Problem: performance of DDO overlay stripe vs. dedicated controller

I'm sorry to say that I don't have experience with DDO (I'm not an expert, but I try to help)

> I'm basically looking for the speed of raid0 without losing a PCI slot in a system that offers no help in getting over the 137gb barrier.
This is an easy task for any recent IDE-RAID controller, You'll have to check your manual if your motherboard supports this. You should know that the 137 barrier is not an software but an hardware barrier (not completely true, the hardware has to be able to address those drives (wich software does))

LucF
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us