Question : Problem: Need to Buy New Dell Server

I need to buy a new Dell server, and I need advice.

Description:
1) Windows 2003 Server
2) 8-10 workstations (PC's and MacIntosh)
3) Current: PowerEdge 2850
4) Memory requirements are open
5) Document Management and Customer Relations Management (CRM) software
6) Storage of 10,000-20,000 image files, documents, PDFs, etc.
7) Current CPUs:  3
8) Allow for future growth
9) Not running Exchange

I am not the one installing and working with this one, so be patient and kind.  If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask, and I will try to find an answer.

TIA,
Bob

Answer : Problem: Need to Buy New Dell Server

Before you go wasting your money... how is the current server underperforming?  What's the problem with it?  I just checked the 2850's specs and the slowest CPU is a XEON 2.8 GHz.  It has dual gigabit NICs so network bandwidth should not be the issue.  It has 6 SCSI 320 hard drives (I assume), so that shouldn't be an issue.  And it maxes out at 16 GB of RAM.  These specs should be more than enough for most environments and frankly, I don't see how a new server is likely to improve things all that much.  

Do you have a baseline from shortly after the server was installed to compare to?  (I suspect not - few people do).  You can still use performance monitor to determine where your performance bottlenect is and from there, determine your best course of action.  For example, WHAT IF your problem is that your server is connected to a 100 Mbit switch?  Then replacing the server for $5000 or so would do NOTHING for you... but replacing the switch for $250 might allow you to see a 50-1000% improvement in performance.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us