Question : Problem: Hard Disk Data Recovery

Hi All,

I have had a very bad weekend, and I hope someone can help.

What happened in brief:
- I have a NTFS 200 GB Hard Drive and tried to resize the partition with "Partition Magic"
- The resize failed and using Ontrack EasyRecovery Profession and managed to recover all my data "except" one file is corrupt - this is a 50GB Steganos Secure Safe which holds all my data.  Ouch.    

....then....
I turned to by backup hard-drive, and guess what... due to a problem with the hard disk enclosure there was a short curcuit and one of the chips on the underside of the drive got fried!

So.... I am left with nothing.  I have tried everything to recover the mess that Partition Magic has left me, but the 50GB file is shot.  I think the 50GB flie has something to do with the issue... I was however able to recover the rest.

So I am left with the only option of sending the backup disk to a recovery service.  I have looked into a few and they are not cheap.  I have used Ontrack before through business and they have been excellent - but expensive.  Someone recommended to me http://www.cbltech.co.uk/labs.html?id=1.  Specifically because they (a) have a local lab and (b) do not charge to analyze.

So..... why am I boring you with all of this.... well - does anyone have any advice on what to try with the partition magic screw up?  or with the fried backup?

I have not tried fixing the partition magic screw up with partition magic - I was scared as that was breaking the one rule of not writting anything to a screwed up disk.

Any ideas....

Answer : Problem: Hard Disk Data Recovery

I agree that the circuit board looks slightly different in the upper right hand corner.  Finding an exact match is tricky in your case, because it looks like the model number is insufficient to work.

Trying a different tack, did GetDataBack work with the 50GB file on the original drive?  I consider it to be the best software tool for data recovery.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us