Question : Problem: Upgrade Advice, if you please :)

hi--and thank you for your help :))

i presently own a slow pc: Pentium 166MHZ, with 256 MB SDRAM. i'd like to upgrade. i'm not into games, or "sound" (playing MP3's, etc.), but i would like a faster pc that will allow me to add Windows XP--and that doesn't "hang" when i try to do more than one thing at one time.

i have a number of questions that, perhaps, some of you pros will chime in on :))

i'm going to get just a new case, a motherboard, and RAM (depending upon the motherboard i may need other things). I already have a perfectly good hard drive, CD-RW drive, Zip drive, etc. So getting a complete new system is not necessary.

1. i realize this is awfully subjective, but i'd like to get opinions on Intel versus AMD. I'm thinking along the lines of a 2GB CPU.

2. how important is the Frontside Bus? What should I look to get in terms of speed?

3. in some cases the video and sound are right on the motherboard. is this acceptable? or should they be separate? again, i'm not into games or music.

4. DDR RAM versus SDRAM? any suggestions?

Any other suggestions anyone might offer will, of course, be greatly appreciated :))

thank you so much, again!

marylyn :)  

Answer : Problem: Upgrade Advice, if you please :)

Before I answer your questions, with a little more searching, I found the exact site for your boards:

The Intel P4 board:(it does support 533FSB)
http://www.amptron.com/html/MotherboardP4_935LU_frame.html

The Athlon K7 board:
http://www.amptron.com/html/MotherboardK7_m825lu_frame.html

1. If I told you how I found the real model numbers I'd have to kill you...lol Just kidding, I know Amptron is made by PCCHIPS and I went to their site and matched the chipset (first items on your list), and other items, to the boards showtime listed.

2. CNR stands for Communications & Network Riser. In lieu of a PCI slot it's an interface that supports the audio, modem, and LAN interfaces of core logic chipsets. To put it in simpler terms, a CNR slot integrates some basic functionality on the motherboard needed to implement audio, modem, and network functions. Because the boards you have chosen have LAN & Audio on board, the CNR would only be good for a Modem, right now, who knows they may come up with a new use for it. Point to remember, the CNR shares one of the PCI slots, so, if you fill both PCI's one of them will share with the CNR.

3.ARM stands for Audio Modem Riser. Does the same thing the CNR does but just a bit older tecnology and no LAN.  AMR slot cannot be used for PCI devices and vice-versa. CNR, however, shares a slot with PCI. So the manufacturer has the option of either putting in a PCI or a CNR card. Finally, CNR has support for plug-n-play, unlike AMR.
Both boards have an AGP slot. It's easy to recogonize on a board, it's always set back (out of line) and above all the PCI slots.

4. You wont need your old NIC card.(network card) It's built into both boards you have chosen. The other items you may want that require a PCI slot: Firewire, sound,TV cards, etc....

Good luck on finding reviews on Amptron or PcChips boards, their not known for getting reviewed.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us