Question : Problem: New Build

I'm in the process of deciding on hardware for a new build. I'm not a big gamer, therefore I don't think overclocking issues are that important. However, I do a lot of multimedia i.e. AVI>MPEG>MP3>DVD> Video Capture and TV.  For these purposes only, I'm not aware of and don't know if overclocking has any benefits for these functions. Plus, overclocking scares me a little for it's unknown territory for me. In addition, I'm not sure how much of a role (large or small) overall computer speed has on these funtions, i.e. processor, hardrive, memory, and FSB. Also, does a Gigbe Lan on a motherboard have any real benefits for internet connectivity or is it primarily for networking use?

Money not being an issue, I was wondering what hardware set up would be best for these functions. The operating system that I will be using on the new build will be Win XP.  So here's a breakdown of what I'm currently looking at:

Case: Antec Lanboy, 350 True Blue PS *Currently own and love it!*
Motherboard: Abit, Asus, Biostar, Chaintech, DFI, Gigabyte, INTEL,  or MSI ?
Raid: Yes or No?
Sata: Yes or No?
On board audio: Yes or No?
On board lan: Yes or No? 10/100 only: Yes or No? Gigbe: Yes or No?
IEEE1394: I have no need, but if it's supplied on the board may use it.
S/PIF: Again, really not that important but if supplied on board may use it.
Processor: Intel P4 (Prescott or Northwood)?  AMD (Athlon 64 +3200 or XP +3200/+3000(400 FSB))?
Memory: Already decided on PC3200 DDR 400 1GB Dual, Mushkin, CAS2. Good Memory?
Hard Drive: Already decided on Maxtor, however, still debating on whether ATA133 or SATA and buffer size 2 or 8. Any suggestions?
Audio Card: Not important, since I currently own Soundblaster Live and plan on using it if it's better than onboard audio. Don't plan on upgrading sound, not an issue.
Video Card:  This is a tough area, so many cards and variations. How do you know which one is going to produce the best benefits for the machine? I know the philosophy may exist as far as you get what you pay for. Still, a fool and his money may part ways as well. With that being said, I need to know the gains and losses of the following in a multimedia application not a gaming scenario:

128 DDR Memory/128-bit
256 DDR Memory/128 bit
128 DDR Memory/256-bit
256 DDR Memory/256-bit
Engine: Nvidia or Radeon?

Also, suggested manufacturers: ATI, BFG, Chaintech, eVGA, Gainward, Sapphire, Prolink, etc.? To many to list.

This is pretty lengthy, however, I been researching this for about two weeks now and with the constant updated of new tech and changing prices I would like to get the best bang for my buck.
Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Answer : Problem: New Build

PAQed - no points refunded (of 125)

modulo
Community Support Moderator
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us