Question : Problem: Should I trade my PC Laptop for a Macbook?

I was talking with a friend who owns a Macbook. She was talking about how she doesn't really use it for much and is looking for something newer. I mentioned that I just got my laptop but that I didn't like Vista and have been interested in Macs. Long story short, we came to the conclusion that we might each like to trade out laptops. I'm wondering if this sounds like a fair trade:

My computer:
Acer Aspire 5050
AMD Turion 64 Processor MK-38 (2.2GHz, 512KB L2)
14.1" LCD
80GB HDD
DVD Burner
1 GB DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 Integrated graphics (variable GRAM depending on how much of it you assign from system general system RAM)
Has Vista Home Basic
It has internal wifi and is in more or less perfect condition.

Her computer:
Macbook
Intel Core Duo 1.8 Ghz processor [L2 Cache (per processor): 2MB]
LCD slightly smaller, though I don't mind that
34.22 GB HDD (? I couldn't figure out how to determine the full capacity - this amount reflects how much is "free")
DVD (i assume) burner? (not important, as I use my desktop for such tasks)
512 MB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
OSX Version: 10.4.10
Also, while the case is scuffed up a bit on the outside, it seems to work fine and would clean up well. The speakers don't work, but the headphone jack work fine.

My only needs for my laptop are Internet accessibility, word processing, and basic multimedia playing functions. Everything else I do on my self-built PC. I know very little about Macs, but have been wanting to learn about them. Does this trade make sense? Are there any other things I should consider?

Also, bonus question: How much would it cost for me to upgrade the memory on the macbook?

Answer : Problem: Should I trade my PC Laptop for a Macbook?

First off I'm no Mac expert (personal thing, as Warren mentioned), but... From the specs, it looks like your Acer has the win on power. Her Macbook also looks like it's about a year or more old.

I don't see 1.8 GHz listed, I hope hers hers is the pro version? Here are some problems with what I believe is the model you're talking about. They mention the speakers.
http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook

Upgrading the RAM, as Warren said again, will be expensive if you go to the Mac store. If you're brave enough to snap a couple of modules in getting rid of that 512, and upgrading to [my personally recommended] 2 gigs of RAM costs less than $100; probably $50-75 now.

I'd say you're on the losing end of the deal. If the Mac were a little more modern, or the Pro version it would compensate.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us