Question : Problem: Play iTunes songs outside of iTunes?

Hi. I have iTunes and Napster on my PC. I play around with them a little but not much so I am not very up on the formats, etc. I mostly play songs directly from the Internet on Napster and occasionally pay for some songs to make a CD, etc.

I am confused, because I have bought quite a few songs off iTunes and played them on that PC via the iTunes player. They are in the m4p file format. However, after burning the m4p song to a CD, I was not able to play it on another PC even though I had paid for it. It still wanted the iTunes player.

That makes no sense to me. If I have paid for the song, then why is it not mine to do what I want with it? Is there a way to convert it or burn and then rip it from a CD? Can it not be played withy WMP or other player? I believe the Napster songs can be played without the Napster player and, of course, Napster works directly with WMP.

I should know this stuff and feel rather stupid even having to ask. But, I don't feel like purchasing an iPod just to play an mP4. How did iTunes get to be so popular when it is so proprietary?

Thanks for the help.

Answer : Problem: Play iTunes songs outside of iTunes?

and played them on that PC via the iTunes player. << trying to play your mp4 on a different iTunes it nolonger has the rights to play your music. DRM.
Play your iTunes on your computer and record them to mp3.
I use mp3mymp3.<<
http://www.mp3mymp3.com/mp3_my_mp3_recorder.html
Install it open it set the source on stereo mix play your itunes beside it, if you can see graph move its ready, one more thing  in the settings below source.
add a recording time I have 120 minutes just to be sure of no accidental stop,
record one track at a time.
Burn to disc either as a data disc or audio disc. Audio is playable in all cd players car etc.
mp3 is compatible with some players in car most cd players and all pc.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us