Question : Problem: iTunes redirecting IP addresses?

I've recently bought a new iPhone 3G, and so have had to install the latest version of iTunes on my desktop computer.

As well as my desktop computer (running Vista Ultimate x32), I have a "media server" which is basically a normal PC running Windows XP Professional.

I am using a BT Home Hub as my wireless router.

The problem is this... since installing iTunes on my desktop computer, I have had intermittent problems with accessing my server from my desktop PC.

Firstly, I try using Remote Desktop to control it, and it says something like "unable to locate the computer".

When that fails, I try pinging the server by entering "ping 192.168.1.75" at a command-line prompt. Strangely, the result is something like:

Pinging 192.168.1.75 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.80: Time out

That's not exactly the message that comes up, as I can't remember exactly what it says, but hopefully you get the point... I ask it to ping 192.168.1.75, and it instead pings 192.168.1.80, it seems.

I should probably point out that 192.168.1.75 is the server, and 192.168.1.80 is the desktop. So, when trying to ping the server from the desktop, the desktop actually tries to ping itself! It seems as if iTunes is intercepting an IP address, and diverting it back to the computer its running on!

It seems I can fix the problem by restarting the desktop, but I'd rather not have to keep doing this.

Can anybody please tell me what is going on?!?

Please feel free to ask questions about my setup, if you like. Many thanks for any help...

Answer : Problem: iTunes redirecting IP addresses?

No it has nothing to do with iTunes, its a Microsoft networking error. Maybe you want to do a system restore to try and fix the bug. Maybe there are some issues talking from XP to Vista. An operating system restore on the desktop should fix the problem, looks like some stuff is corrupt, maybe microsoft networking (for local routing)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us