Question : Problem: Using VSB 5v Power To Keep USB Device Alive When Computer Is Off ?

Hi,

I have a USB device which I want to keep powered when the computer is turned off (not standby or hibernate but off) - but still plugged into the mains. i.e. the PSU is still 'live' but the fans are not running and I beleive only standby power (VSB) at 5V is supplied to the purple wire on the ATX power connector to the motherboard.

Can I wire the red and black wires from a USB cable directly into the power connector (to purple 5v VSB and black wire ground) and expected my USB device to receive 5v power to keep it running ?

Is it dependant on the powerdraw of the device ?

I haven't put a meter on the ATX purple wire yet but would appreciate some feed back if what I'm thinking of is feasable.

Thanks.

Answer : Problem: Using VSB 5v Power To Keep USB Device Alive When Computer Is Off ?

According to the ATX specification http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5CATX12V_1_3dg.pdf, VSB is supposed to stay on when all the other rails are off, and should be capable of providing up to 2a @ +5V +/-5%.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us