Question : Problem: VSCom PCI 200L IRQ problem

I have a new box with an Intel D865GBF board, a Lucent WinModem and onboard Video, audio , Com1 and Lan.  It is a new install of Win 2K pro SP4. I need to add 4 COM ports so I bought 2 VSCOM PCI 200L cards.  I installed them using the drivers on the CD ROM for Windows 2000 and they are configured to COM 4&5, and 6&7 respectively.  Before I installed them I checked the Device manager and found I had IRQ's 2,4,5,7,10,11,12,20,21,22 open.  The BIOS was set to allow BIOS to configure IRQ's and all the PCI slots set to Auto.  When I put the first card in it was assigned IRQ 17 which is where other hardware already was.  There is no way to change the IRQ and putting it in a different slot did no good.  However Device Manager did not show any conflicts.  

I put the Second card in and it was assigned IRQ 18, no way to change it, no conflicts in Device Manager.  The machine boots fine with the cards in it and all looks good (except for the fact that WIN2K put it on already used IRQ's.)  However, as soon as I put any device on the com port, including a gender changer, the machine blue screens at boot with an error message about IRQ's.  I go into safe mode and look at device manager but can't do anything about the problem.  I have tried switching PCI slots, assigning IRQ's in the BIOS to the PCI slots (which are ignored) but cannot get this to work.  I have wondered if I had a bad card, but it seems strange that I might have 2 of them.  any ideas?

Answer : Problem: VSCom PCI 200L IRQ problem

Closed, 250 points refunded.
PashaMod
Community Support Moderator
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us