Question : Problem: Changing CPU Chip

I have an Asus P4S8X SiS648 socket 478 motherboard as my PC.  This is 2003 technology with a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4, also 2003 technology.  My computer is now too slow for one of my most demanding applications.
It has come to my attention that I can upgrade the processor with an Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Prescott 3.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 89W Single-Core Processor - OEM  compatible with socket 478.
Questions:
1.  Is it true that there will be a noticeable perforformance improvement?
2. Can I put the new chip in without having to reinstall WINDOWS XP?  If not can you give me a reference or info on how to avoid reinstalling WINDOWS XP.  Prefer not to rebuild the Hard Drive.
3. Can I use the existing heat sink/cooler fan? It was recently replaced.
Thanks in advance,
latte11

Answer : Problem: Changing CPU Chip

1. You will most likely note see much performance difference between the 2.8GHz P4 and the 3.0GHz P4. It is only 200MHz difference and the technology is exactly the same.

2. If you do buy it you can most likely install it without having to do anything to windows. The worse case you would have to do a repair install, but this is unlikely.

3. Yes, you should have no issues using the same hestsink that you currently have installed, but you will have to replace the thermal paste.

Personally I would not do this upgrade. You can buy a nice Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad system for not that much and have many times the performance that you currently have with your aging Pentium 4 system.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us