Question : Problem: Bios Error Beep Code for Intel D865GBFLK / Intel P4 3.0 CPU 2x512MB  PC3200 DDR400

Im building a new machine & I bought all the parts from NewEgg with the following specs:

Intel 3.0C GHZ P4 478P/512 HT Processor
Intel D865GBFLK motherboard
2x 60GB SATA hard drives
DRU 510 Sony DVD Burner
Aspire ATX 500watts power supply
2x 256MB Kingston PC3200 CL3 184Pin DIMM (matched pair)
1 clear acrylic case

I turn the PC on it starts to load then I hear 1 short beep, and then about 5-10 seconds after another short 1 beep, and then about 10 seconds later the system cuts out. So I turn the machhine on again, this time I hear 1 quick beep at the begining and 2 sets of 2-beeps. The 2-beeps are about 1 second long each, and then they system cuts out. Initially I read somewhere that it was a memory issue. I first bought 2 corsair value select PC3200 DDR400 memory sticks. I read on a site that the DIMM memory must be a matched pair. But I had bought 2 similar types of memory but not matched pair. I replaced it with the Kingston as listed above, and Im still getting the same error. The motherboard manual states it may have something to do with the video card, but Im using the onboard video. Please help before I lose all credability with my client.

Thanks in advance.

Answer : Problem: Bios Error Beep Code for Intel D865GBFLK / Intel P4 3.0 CPU 2x512MB  PC3200 DDR400

BIOS error codes: http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm#05

Award BIOS beep codes
  Award uses the least of any of the BIOS manufactures just two codes, they prefer to display a message on the screen state the error. The only time you will get any beeps is if the video cards fails or a RAM problem.

Beep Code Description
  1 Long, 2 Short A video error has occurred and the Bios cannot initialise the video screen to display any additional information.
  Any other beep(s) RAM Problem.

AMIBIOS Beep Codes

1 short DRAM refresh failure
  2 short Parity circuit failure
  3 short Base 64K RAM failure
  4 short System timer failure
  5 short Process failure
  6 short Keyboard controller Gate A20 error
  7 short Virtual mode exception error
  8 short Display memory Read/Write test failure
  9 short ROM BIOS checksum failure
  10 short CMOS shutdown Read/Write error
  11 short Cache Memory error
  1 long, 3 short Conventional/Extended memory failure
  1 long, 8 short Display/Retrace test failed

Phoenix Bios
BEEPS          Error Description
---------------------------------
none/1-1-2......CPU register test in progress
1-1-3...........CMOS write/read test failed
1-1-4...........ROM BIOS checksum bad
1-2-1...........Programmable interval timer failed
1-2-2...........DMA initialization failed
1-2-3...........DMA page register write/read bad
1-3-1...........RAM refresh Verification
none/1-3-2......Testing first 64K RAM
1-3-3...........First 64K RAM chip or data line fault, multi-bit
1-3-4...........First 64K RAM odd/even logic bad
1-4-1...........Address line bad, first 64K RAM
1-4-2...........Parity error detected in first 64K RAM
1-4-3...........EISA fail-safe timer test in progress

It could be a video card problem, even though you have onboard video.  To troubleshoot this, you will need to plug in a separate video card and disable the the onboard video (if you can get into the BIOS).
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us