Question : Problem: Gateway PA2 LCD backlight refuses to light up - even after new inverter and new LCD

Well,

I've replaced a lot of inverters in my day.  This Gateway laptop was displaying a very dim screen, so I reflexively ordered and installed an inverter.  The new inverter didn't fix the problem.

Instead of messing with the CCFL replacement, I decided to order a brand-new LCD.  I installed it just now, and it has the same dimness problem.  

Sometimes there is a switch that the laptop's lid depresses when it is closed.  Once, I almost replaced the inverter, but I saw a piece of junk sticking the switch down.  When I removed the junk, the backlight blinked on immediately.  

I cannot find any switch like this on the Gateway.  The keyboard bezel is smooth - no holes.  Now what?  What else could it be?  I did not replace the video cable yet, but it is in good shape and no matter how much I wiggle it, I can't even get a blink from the backlight.  With a bad cable, the problem should be intermittent.  

Anyway,  what do you think?  Is there some sort of magnet that could have fallen out of the way?  

Jason

Answer : Problem: Gateway PA2 LCD backlight refuses to light up - even after new inverter and new LCD

Sometimes if there are such switches they are using a reed switch (a magnetic switch which is flipped if a magnet comes close). If you have such a switch then you wouldn't see any moving parts. Anyway, those switches hardly ever break, but of course it is possible that the magnet itself has fallen off the display. But since you can see a picture I don't think there is a problem with a lid switch, it would turn off the display completely. Maybe you have a problem with the power supply or cable for the inverter.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us