Question : Problem: Connecting 2 office buildings by Fibre Optics

I have 2 office buildings 1 with 24 users and the 2nd with 24 users.  The buildings are 500 feet apart.  I have them all connected as follows:

From a Satellite Modem a Cat6 cable runs to a Dlink Router....From 1 Port on the router a CAT6 cable then runs to the copper to fibre optic converter which runs a fibre cable to building 2,  From the routers 2nd port a Cat6 cable runs to a 10/100 swich and connects all of Building 1's computers

In building 2 I have the fibre optic cable coming in and connecting to the fibre to copper converter which connects to a 10/100 switch via cat6 - the switch connects all the computers in building 2.

Most things seem pretty good (internet etc..); however, when some of the users from building 1 try to access the shared accounting database located on a computer in building 2, it is very slow.  When all the users were in the same building everthing was fine.  It wasn't untill we introduced the fibre optics that we are experiencing problems.  Do we have too many computers that we are trying to connect?  what are the limitations of fibre?

How many computers (building 1 to building 2) can we connect via fibre optics before performance is an issue?

Answer : Problem: Connecting 2 office buildings by Fibre Optics

In my opinion 48 or so users is minimal.

You mention "some" of the users in building 1 try to access a db in building 2....

Is it some or all? If some of them have difficulty then not a fiber or connectivity issue.

One thing to note is the speed of your fiber converters. One of those could be problematic. Most fiber can run gigabits of data.

If there is some slowdown, I would bet first on a fiber converter.

I would also do some actual transfer tests of a file of known size.

Just some thoughts.

John
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us