Question : Problem: Working with Cable Modem-D-Link Router-PIX 506-Internal Network

Before I go off messing up everything I have set up now....

Currently, I run a full win2K domain based network at home. It consists of- Toshiba Cable Modem (dynamic IP), D-Link Router (It does some port mapping), Win2K Adv. Server (Internal DNS, DHCP, etc etc), 3-WinXP Boxes, 1-RedHat8 box, 3Com Wireless WAP, Wireless-capable Laptop.

I have a Cisco PIX 506 Firewall that I would like to add to the mix. This is rather difficult to draw out, but I will try my best to word of wht I am thinking-

-Cable Modem (Dynamic IP)
--DLink Router (192.168.1.1 Inside - Dynamic Outside)
---PIX 506 (192.168.1.1 Outside - 192.168.30.0 Inside)
----Exsisting Network reip'ed to new IP's

I am not even sure if I want to do this... Would I gain any security?

Currently, I run a MS VPN w/radius accompanied by a Dynamic DNS service. I also host a small application that I only access from the outside via IIS.

The ultimate goal I would like to achieve is to have the PIX 506 connect up with my PIX 515 at work and allow me to access my home network and work network at the sme time. As many may already know, when I have my Cisco VPN client connected to work, it kills all my local shares.

Feel free to ask any questions... like have I lost my mind...

NOTE- I am thinking I will designate the internal IP choosen on the DLink router to be the DMZ address, so all ports flow over to the PIX506.

Anyone ever tried doing this, anyone think this will increase security on my network? In other words, if I am already NATing my ports over to the appropriate server, will the PIX be doing much aside from adding to additional configuration headaches?

Thanks in Advance for taking your time to read this out of the ordinary question. I am simply looking for opinions and ideas...

Answer : Problem: Working with Cable Modem-D-Link Router-PIX 506-Internal Network

Finalized as proposed

modulo

Community Support Moderator
Experts Exchange
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us