Question : Problem: Wireless Bridge + Access Point needed

I need a recommendation on some hardware for a solution to connect 2 adjacent bulidings (under 100 ft apart), the primary building also needs an access point. I was looking at getting a pair of Linksys WET200 wireless briges, although I am unsure on whther these devices can be in both a bridge mode and access point mode at the same time. Would this work for my scenario or should i be looking into different hardware?

Answer : Problem: Wireless Bridge + Access Point needed

What sort of traffic do you anticipate on the bridge link?  What kind of networks are on both sides?

A wireless bridge works best when it is only a bridge and does not try to do double duty as an access point.  Some products (for example, Apple's Airport) can act as a bridge and AP at the same time, but performance and reliability are degraded by the dual roles.

I would use a separate access point on the network and make sure it is operating on a channel completely separate from the bridge.  Since channels 1, 6 and 11 are the only non-overlapping channels on B/G networks, you could set the AP to Channel 1 and the bridge to 6 or 11.

As you probably already know, you will get the best performance and reliability by having the same manufacturer/model of unit on both ends of the bridge, or, at least, by using units from the same manufacturer.

The Linksys unit you mention will probably do the job, but there are many other units out there:
The Netgear WG302 (http://www.netgear.com/Products/APsWirelessControllers/AccessPoints/WG302.aspx?detail=Specifications)
and the Cisco Aironet 1400 series (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps5279/)
are good quality units.

Directional antennas are also helpful in makeing a good bridge.  There are a number of aftermarket vendors, but be careful about matching the antenna to the device - connector and impedance matching problems can make an external antenna useless.

wb

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us