Question : Problem: Starting SAN on HP ProLiant DL385

I'm a newbie to SAN technology so any additional tips are helpful. I wanted to purchase an iSCSI target and put it on my HP ProLiant DL385 G1 server becuase we don't have the budget for a large SAN.

My questions are:
1. What target software can you recommend for Windows Server 2003/2008?
2. Is it ok to install target on a DL385  or am I working with the wrong hardware?
3. The harddrives are currently maxed out on the server as far as open bays, so how would I expand the physical capacity of the server later down the line? Would I just link an additional server somehow?
4. I am currently planning on using the SAN for 5 virtual machine vhd files, exchange database, and sql database. Any recommendations or advice?

Answer : Problem: Starting SAN on HP ProLiant DL385

Only target for Windows that I can think of is StarWind from www.rocketdivision.com; you can't buy the MS target since it is only sold through OEMs for MS Storage Server.

Expand storage by adding MSA30/Smart Array 6402 (you could use a SA642 but 6402 is better performance). MSA50/P600 also supported if you have the SAS model DL385G1 (I've never seen one of them, the SCSI model was very popular though)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us