Question : Problem: How can I still use my parallel and serial printer?

I have a Dell Vostro and it came with no serial and parallel port. It's currently running Windows XP pro. I need a serial port to plug in an old printer and parallel port to plug in a scanner. A Dell tech told me I could get a parallel to usb and serial to usb adapter. But doesn't there need to be a uart chip to do serial? Will that work or will I have to get an expansion card?

Answer : Problem: How can I still use my parallel and serial printer?

Hi

All of the things you mention are very much possible, with the right equipment and know-how!

I use this adapter http://www.newlinkproducts.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?catID=4&prodID=89 frequently for programming old telephone systems, from my laptop in either Xp or Vista and it works just fine.  If it works in my situation, I am 99% sure it will work for your printer!

Any old parallel-to usb adapter will work just fine!  You can even print from DOS to a USB printer (see below).  If you need to print from DOS apps in XP, then just perform the following steps:

Install printer on USB
Share printer (eg.  computername\printer)
Open a command prompt
Type "net use LPT1:  \\computername\printer"

This will re-direct the data sent to LPT1 to the USB connected printer, and works just fine!

Regards
Mark
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us