Question : Problem: Problem Accessing internet with wireless adapter

I have been using a wireless internet connection for a couple of years. It has always worked fairly well with some interruptions. I am using a LinkSys Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter. My system is Windows XP.

Recently the connection stopped working. The LinkSys monitor software was throwing an error which read "Exception GIFException in module aviWUSB54GC.dll at 000252AF". The connection was still working at that point, but it eventually failed. I attempted to un-install and re-install the LinkSys monitor software, to no avail (same result). Then I looked online and got the advice to un-install the LinkSys monitor and install only the driver for the software (which I downloaded from LinkSys to get the latest version), and let windows configure the adapter. In both cases (whether I'm using the LinkSys Monitor or not), it seems to connect to the access point but not the internet. (When I use the monitor, it says "You are connected to the access point, but not the internet". When I use the windows setup, it shows a connection, but web pages don't come up.)

My neighbor is connected through the same access point and has no problems.

When using the Windows setup it has a "repair" button which triers to set up the connection and troubleshoot the problem. It seems to hang sometimes on creating an IP address for the connection, so I suspect this may be a part of the problem. It seems the hardware is OK (since its connection to the access point) but some setting in the software might need to be changed to allow internet access.

Anyone out there know how I can get this connection working again?

thanks

Tom

Answer : Problem: Problem Accessing internet with wireless adapter

well, we solved the problem through troubleshooting, re-starting the modem, etc etc... Not absolutely sure what the problem was, but its good now.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us