Question : Problem: AD User Account rename now unable to connect to Exchange via SMTP

I'm running AD 2003 and eXCHANGE 2003 today I renamed a user account and now I am unable to log on via SMTP using his Mobile Device / Outlook  or Outlook Express. When I log in using the new credentials which I have verified over and over again as being correct I receive the following error message.

1st Error message was received while trying to log on from within the domain the 2nd message was received while trying to log on with the user Mobile device.  " please note these error messages do not appear if I use a diffrent user name"  So it's not the firewall or a port being blocked it's user specific to that one account that I renamed today. I created a test user account called test1 and I was able to access my mail via SMTP. Once I made the chage to the account I was able to duplicate the same symptoms.

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'smtp.domain.com', Server: 'smtp.domain.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Answer : Problem: AD User Account rename now unable to connect to Exchange via SMTP

When renaming accounts, you need to logon with the full details instead of just "username"

So the username field should now be DOMAIN\Username\mailbox

Another stellar reason to not rename accounts.

-red
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us