Question : Problem: Network cable management in Dell rack

We have a Dell 72U rack with a Dell switch, KVM switch, 3 UPS, and 9 servers.

For the most part, I have the power cables organized pretty well with velcro cable straps but the network cables are a whole different monster.

I think my biggest problem is they are all of the same length, I think they're 7' cables (in a 6' rack) and I have a lot of excess cable dangling on the bottom of the rack and impossible to neatly bundle together without bending them.  You have servers starting from the top of the rack that are only 1" away from the switch, then servers filling all the way to the very bottom so you can see the problem that I face.

I was thinking maybe we should get about 3 cables of different lengths, something like 1', 3', 5' and 7'.

Another idea I had was that the Dell rack has 4 circle corner holes on the top of the rack.  Possibly run the cables out through the top and back in?

This is a huge problem because I also need to add KVM SIP pods to each individual server which also uses CAT5 so I need to organize these cables effectively.

Does anyone have any experience with cable management of a racks with a switch in it?  Or any suggestions at all?

Thanks

Answer : Problem: Network cable management in Dell rack

As for this case , your point is correct. You need to have 1 mt and 3 mt cable. But I would fix the switch faceing backword and in the center( below the  KVM switch and use 2 cable managers in between them placed alternatly. This way my network cable can be 1 mt long only and the furthest server will be reachable with this. Also cable manager used in this way will help mitigate the issue.

fan
space if available
server1
|
|
server4
KVM switch
Cable manager ( metal types are better than plastic ones)
Network/server farm switch
cable manager
server5
|
|
server x
Rack UPS if any

I use two PDP in each rack. One PDP is supplied from regular power supply using 16 Amp industrial socket.
Other PDP is supplied via Rack UPS. You know the reason for such connection from different sources. I assume your servers have dual power supply. Use the cable manager(metal folding cage) supplied along with the dell servers to manage the cables in the back of each server. Route the cables between the side panel and the side rail if u have the space else along the vertical main leg using vulcro.. I some times use additional horizontal cable managers placed little higher and little below the ones next to switch  and run the 3/5 meter cables around this route to useup the lenght instead of budling them. Don't forget to Number them on both the ends will be usufull later for trouble shooting.

Good Luck
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us