Question : Problem: Network Interface Card (NIC) in device manager cannot be deleted.

Hi

I have come across a wierd problem. The network adapter from my computer cannot be deleted ( as in uninstalling the device drivers from Control Panel- Harware - Device manager).
I was having some issues with my network connectiviy , therefore to troubleshoot the problem I decided to uninstall and reboot the computer. I thought by rebooting the computer windows will automatically detect the ethernet card and install the driver. Rather, upon reboot I was presented with Harware add Wizard and windows was prompting to specify the correct driver.
Since I didn't had the device driver file on me, I decided to go with "choose from  a list of  hardware" and selected the device type as network and and some incorrect ethernet that was listed under the Linksys section. Now the device manager says, the device could not be sstarted.
I downloaded the correct driver for the NIC but cannot install it becuase: I can neither delete it from device drivers list, not can I use reinstall driver option and browse to the path where the device driver file is located. the "next" button even after specifying the correct inf file remains grey..

Please help out, I am badly stuck with this weird issue. My computer does not have network connectivity.

Thanks

Ashjuv

Answer : Problem: Network Interface Card (NIC) in device manager cannot be deleted.

If necessary, physically remove the card, boot up, use View->Show hidden in Device Manager, then right-click & Uninstall all 'ghosted' instances of the card.

Shut down, reinstall the card, boot up, cancel the hardware wizard, run the driver install file.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us